Navonim - The Ramblings of Garnel Ironheart

Navonim - The Ramblings of Garnel Ironheart
BUY THIS BOOK! Now available on Amazon! IT WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE COMPLETE!

Sunday 12 October 2008

A Needless Ritual

I've never been a fan of the "traditional" form of kapparot. The idea of tormenting a bird that I might not even be able to eat afterwards has always bothered me. The further idea that somehow my sins will be transferred onto the chicken (didn't I chuck them into the river already during tashlich?) strikes me as bizarre.
Fortunately, I'm in good company. In the Shulcah Aruch, OC 605:1, the Mechaber considers it a polytheistic ritual. Even though the Rema disagrees, his is far from a ringing endorsement of the practice.
Which is a shame because the idea behind kapparot is a nice one that gets lost in the annual cries of "animal cruelty" that are too often justfied. Personally I use money and donate it to charity, sometimes to the local kosher food bank so people can get their holiday meals without having to abuse any birds in the process.

No comments: