Navonim - The Ramblings of Garnel Ironheart

Navonim - The Ramblings of Garnel Ironheart
BUY THIS BOOK! Now available on Amazon! IT WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE COMPLETE!

Friday 16 October 2009

That Time of Year Again

There are cycles in life that I like and others I don't.
I like it when the Chanukah season rolls around because that means X-mas is right around the corner and that means extra ER shifts at time and a half. It helps pay the kids' tuition.
I don't like it when shemittah comes up and once again the Jewish world engages in their ritual arguments for and against the heter mechirah.
And I especially don't like when Bereshis and Noach come around and all the kofrim out there engage the subject with their usually simple logic:
1) The only Jewishly acceptable way to understand the first part of the book o' Genesis is literally. Anything else is apologetics and illegitimate from an authentically Jewish perspective.
2) Science has clearly shown that the creation of the universe according the Genesis is bunk.
3) Therefore Judaism is bunk.
Any attempt to point out that (1) is fallacious and that there is plenty of evidence in Jewish tradition that one can understand the Torah's account of the creation of the world from a less than literal perspective is attacked from both sides. The self-styled defenders of the faith insist that their literal approach is the only one because today's "gedolim" endorse it. The kofrim enthuasistically shout "See! Just like we told you!"
So I think this year I'm just going to keep my head down and ignore the idiocy from both sides.
I'm sorely tempted to just

No comments: